This is a statement that was made by Dr. Sam Harris on Real Time with Bill Maher. Even though the statement is 4+ years old it is riddled with so many factual inaccuracies, distortions, and half-truths that a criticism of it could not be avoided.
Oct. 14, 2014 – “the Islamic world includes a strain that truly is disproportionately intolerant and oppressive. Barbarians in the Islamic State cite their faith as the reason for their monstrous behavior — most recently beheading a British aid worker devoted to saving Muslim lives — and give all Islam a bad name. Moreover, of the 10 bottom-ranking countries in the World Economic Forum’s report on women’s rights, nine are majority Muslim. In Afghanistan, Jordan and Egypt, more than three-quarters of Muslims favor the death penalty for Muslims who renounce their faith, according to a Pew survey. The persecution of Christians, Ahmadis, Yazidis, Bahai — and Shiites — is far too common in the Islamic world. We should speak up about it.”
- The World Economic Report was on gender gaps not women’s rights. Which is, according to them, a measure of “relative gaps between women and men across four key areas: health, education, economy and politics.” See, http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2014/?doing_wp_cron=1522037969.6652209758758544921875
- There are 57 Muslim majority countries so the 10 at the bottom would only be 17.54% of what is being referred to as the “Islamic world”. Proof: 10 / 57 = 0.1754; 0.1754 * 100 = 17.54%
- The Islamic state (IsIL) does not represent Islam. They have been denounced and their justifications have been proven – factually, to be spurious. See, http://www.lettertobaghdadi.com
- Only a misguided Muslim would be in support of the death penalty for renunciation of ones faith.
The Qur’an explicitly states in Surah Al-Baqara 256: “There is no compulsion in the religion”.
Arabic: لَا إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ ۖ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ ۚ فَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىٰ لَا انفِصَامَ لَهَا ۗ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
- Muslims throughout the so called “Islamic world” have suffered more because of U.S. foreign policies, bombings, conflicts, and drone strikes than anything. See,
- The religion of Islam is derived from the Qur’an. NOT the cultures and practices of the people in the Middle East.