This is a statement that was made by Dr. Sam Harris on Real Time with Bill Maher. Even though the statement is 4 years old it is riddled with many factual inaccuracies, distortions, half-truths, and hypocrisies that criticism of it could not be avoided.
Oct. 14, 2014 – “the Islamic world includes a strain that truly is disproportionately intolerant and oppressive. Barbarians in the Islamic State cite their faith as the reason for their monstrous behavior — most recently beheading a British aid worker devoted to saving Muslim lives — and give all Islam a bad name. Moreover, of the 10 bottom-ranking countries in the World Economic Forum’s report on women’s rights, nine are majority Muslim. In Afghanistan, Jordan and Egypt, more than three-quarters of Muslims favor the death penalty for Muslims who renounce their faith, according to a Pew survey. The persecution of Christians, Ahmadis, Yazidis, Bahai — and Shiites — is far too common in the Islamic world. We should speak up about it.”
- The World Economic Report was on gender gaps not women’s rights. Which is, according to them, a measure of “relative gaps between women and men across four key areas: health, education, economy and politics.” See, http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2014/?doing_wp_cron=1522037969.6652209758758544921875
- 2. There are 57 Muslim majority countries so the 10 at the bottom would only be 17.54% of what is being referred to as the “Islamic world”. Proof: 10 / 57 = 0.1754; 0.1754 * 100 = 17.54%
- 3.The Islamic state (IsIL) has been denounced and their justifications have been proven to be spurious. See, http://www.lettertobaghdadi.com
- 4.Only a misguided Muslim would be in support of the death penalty for renunciation of ones faith.
The Qur’an explicitly states in Surah Al-Baqara 256: “There is no compulsion in the religion”.
Arabic: لَا إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ ۖ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ ۚ فَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىٰ لَا انفِصَامَ لَهَا ۗ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
- 5. Talks about minority groups in the “Islamic world” who are victims of persecution but never says anything about innocent Muslims throughout the “Islamic world” who are suffering immensely because of U.S. led bombings, conflicts, and drone strikes.